Thursday, April 8, 2010

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Final Medical Post (I hope)

The doctor at Lahey Clinic gave me the surgical notes, So I thought I would share that with all of you.

INDICATIONS:Patient presents with a septic right shoulder.   She has had two surgical procedures done elsewhere.  She had persistent drainage.  She presents for surgical treatment.

PROCEDURE:  The patient was placed on the operating room table.   general anesthesia was induced.   the patient was placed in a sitting position.  The right shoulder was prepped and draped incision made over the anterior aspect of the right shoulder through the old incision, down through subcutaneous tissue and fascia.   there was some purulent tissue that initially expressed.   The deltopectoral interval was then entered and necrotic tissue was removed throughout the deltopectoral interval.   the subscapularis tendon was then incised off the lesser tuberosity and some purulent tissue was also removed and sent for culture.   There was a significant longitudinal tear of the supraspinatus tendon off the greater tuberosity,   the bone was significant longitudinal tear of the supraspinatus tendon off the greater tuberosity and in probing the greater tuberosity, the bone was significantly soft.   The bone was entered.  there was noted to be some necrotic bone which was debrided using a curette and after the shoulder was copiously irrigated, and the decision was made to put a few sutures in the supraspinatus tendon rent.   This was done with Prolene suture.   after purulent synovium was debrided and bursal subscapularis tendon was left open.  The shoulder joint was left open.  the wound was  packed with betadine soaked sponges and a wound VAC was placed in the shoulder. Patient was awakened and transferred to the recovery room.

Since I didn't have a room yet, I spent the next 24 hours in the recovery room.  Was actually very nice.   I got lots of attention.  

Monday, June 1, 2009

Life is Good

No more gory pictures, just a note to let everyone know that I am doing better,  I had half of the stitches removed from the shoulder on Friday, and hope the rest will go this friday.   The infectious disease doctor is pleased with how the infection is looking but wants to keep me on the IV antibiotics for another 3 or so weeks.   I would rather have too much and make sure the infection is gone, rather than not enough and have it come roaring back stronger than before.  The xrays showed that the bone seems to be healing, so that is also good news.  Now i have only a week to wait before I can start with the occupational therapy to get the arm moving again.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

MaryAnn Status 5/12

Things have gone very well today.  We've met with multiple doctors, most notably the infectious disease doctor.  Right now the feeling is that she will be able to go home on Thursday morning.  Tomorrow they will pull together the home treatment stuff.  The antibiotic regimen is not simple and definitely has the doctor scratching his head, but he  will have it together tomorrow.  The orthopedists are happy with how everything looks.  The endocrinologists are happy about her glucose levels and are confident she will be on oral medication when the infection is done with.  She is feeling good, walking well and the shoulder is not causing much pain.

I'm heading home tonight and will work tomorrow and after my church meeting Wednesday night I'll head up to the
Hutchins' and then come over to the hospital on Thursday to pick her up.  Right now that's the plan, we know it could change, but would certainly like it to happen like this.

Above are pictures of the scarf that a high school friend sent and a picture of the shoulder

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Hospital Update 5/9

Here is a link to pictures of the hospital room, the line in her shoulder, and the suction device that is constantly running to get the "bad stuff" out of her shoulder. All is well we are just waiting now until Monday when the line is removed.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Surgery 5/7

The surgery was completed at about 5:30 PM.  I met with Dr. Smiley.  He took out a minimal amount of bone.  They did some repair of the rotator cuff.  There will be a follow-up surgery on Monday and she will need to be in the hospital until at least Tuesday.  I have seen her twice this evening and she is doing well.  On the last visit we got to talk with the doctor that assisted Dr. Smiley.  He felt that it went well. They took tissue samples and are culturing them and if they find anything unexpected they will address it during the Monday surgery.  I am staying at the Hutchins' home in Belmont right next to the temple which is about 15 minutes from the hospital so I will be well rested.

Monday, May 4, 2009

MaryAnn Status 5/4

We went to the Lahey Clinic in Peabody this morning and met with Dr. Paul Smiley.  He agrees that surgery is needed and is now scheduled for Thursday (5/7) in the Burlington facility. He knows that some bone will have to be removed, but until he gets in there he does not know how aggressive they will have to be.  Right now our focus is on eliminating the source of infection and he agrees with that.  How much bone they have to remove will obviously determine what degree of reconstructive surgery will be required, but that is in the future.

We probably will be heading up early Thursday morning, but we'll know the time  for sure on Wednesday. She could be home as early as Saturday depending on how things go.   It was a very efficient morning up there.  We left home at 8:20 and were home by 2:20